Friday, October 6, 2017

Healing Amongst Loss.


Hello everybody.

This is a little more solemn of a post than my previous ones, but I feel like this is something that should be shared and I now feel like I am ready to share it. I want to preface this post by saying that this is not intended to be a pity party, nor is this an attempt at getting attention. Rather, I hope that what I write will be full of meaning and encouragement for others.

Many of you have not heard yet, but around 10 weeks ago my wife and I found out that we were pregnant. We had been trying for over half a year so we were very excited about it. Six months later we came to the moment that my wife and I were had been looking forward to, our first ultrasound/the moment when we could hear our baby's heartbeat. However, what was expected to be a moment of joy quickly turned into a moment of sorrow as the doctor informed us that he was not seeing what he should be seeing for that point in our pregnancy and that he was 100% certain that we had miscarried.

The grief was instantaneous. Even though our baby had not been in our life that long, and so far had only a minimal affect on our lives at that point, the news that our baby had died proved to be pretty devastating for us. The last four weeks have been a time of emotional healing as we have struggled to sort through our feelings of grief. 

Even though this has been a hard time for us we have found that even in these times God's love for us has found a way to shine through the dark clouds of our despair. My parents, who had been with us to be present for the ultrasound, took time out of their lives to stay an extra day in order to provide emotional support. We received a large amount of support from our bible study who not only offered up their prayers, but surprised us by providing meals for us. We even received a beautiful bouquet of flowers from my wife's orthodontic office after they heard about our situation. Through these and many other words of encouragement and signs of love from those around us, I feel that God has given us the strength to continue on and not get lost in our grief.

I want to thank our family and friends who have been there for us. We still feel a great sadness over the loss of our baby, but we have also experienced a great amount of healing during these last few weeks. I greatly appreciate all of you and am blessed to have you in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment